Leak detection with forming gas
Why forming gas? Forming gas consists of 95% nitrogen and 5% hydrogen. The hydrogen serves as the actual indicator during a leak test. 95/5 forming gas is not flammable, poisonous, or harmful to the environment. Leak detection using forming gas (95/5) and a sensitive hydrogen detector is efficient and cost effective.
The advantages of leak detection with forming gas:
- Microscopic hairline cracks are pinpointed easily and conveniently
- The test takes place at realistic pressures in the system
- Forming gas is cheaper than refrigerant
- Forming gas binds any residual moisture present in the system
- Hydrogen is lighter than air and rises, making leak detection easier
- No environmentally hazardous refrigerant escapes during leak testing
- No waiting time – the results are available immediately.